Elder Cooper Siebers has been called to serve a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. He will serve for 24 months in the Brazil, Rio de Janeiro mission. He enters the Provo, Utah Missionary Training Center on 10 July 2013.

Monday, September 2, 2013

8. Gilbert AZ

2 September 2013

So week 2 [in Arizona] started off perfectly. The four of us, Elders P, J, J and I got to play board games for a good 5 hours on our Pday. One of the games included Risk, which as you know I absolutely love. 

Anywho a few wonderful and not so wonderful things happened this week. 

Lets see, I got my first flat tire on Tuesday, I bought a $12 slim tube to fix it (that's whats on the debit card). Then on Sat night I blew out the other tire. I have to buy another tube.... So that was gnarly. While waiting for our ride to pick us up a cop turned his lights on to come talk to me. I almost started to OYM him but I thought it might be a bad idea. [OYM- Open Your Mouth. A reference to Doctrine and Covenants 24:12. "...he shall open his mouth and declare my gospel..."]  After we have a short talk and he pulls off and I see Elder P giving a Book Of Mormon  to a man standing over his yard wall. Elder P who is 6'4" and is standing on a rock just to talk to the guy whose head is peering over the 7 foot wall. It was a pretty funny sight. 

On Thursday morning we went back to Bobbis [Livin' off the Land She is] for more service. I absolutely love working on her farm. I spent a good hour and a half sawing down good sized branches off a dead tree for her. Then I spent a good hour playing with the baby goats which is the most awesome thing in the world. You know me...

Elder J and I are really good pals, it's too bad this is his last transfer, he's a hilarious guy and we get along really well. O well!

Side Note: We were meeting with our mission leader for one of our wards and he has this really cool book called "The Visual Miscellaneum" by David McCandles. Its all about visual information. I couldn't put the book down for my life. Mom you should check it out, I know our minds work similarly, I think you would enjoy it. Apparently its a fairly new idea of explaining things solely through visual  aids. It made a lot of sense to me. I WANT THAT BOOK.... [Ok, this is actually kind of funny.  I looked at the book on Amazon and apparently it's all infographics.... which I DO love.  So does Mallory.  In fact, at one time I was encouraging Mallory to consider it as a focus in her communications major.  The interesting thing is that Cooper had two semesters of school before leaving on his mission.  In those two semesters he decided mechanical engineering wasn't his thing and was leaning more towards industrial design or graphics.  I remember telling him that while he won't necessarily be focused on career development while on his mission, it is not uncommon for things to just "click" during this time and come home and know exactly what they want to do.  It would not surprise me at all if this is something he pursues.]

My favorite dinner I had this week was very unexpected. There is a lady named Silvia, whose from Germany and she speaks 7 different languages. She's very cultured and Elder P had requested Schnitzel for our next dinner. I was not too stoked about this. When we got there, she didn't end up making Schnitzel for some reason and made Goulash instead. Which is basically and beef stew over rice. THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!  It was sooooo good.

On Friday night it rained pretty heavily here. It was a lot of fun to be riding out in the rain and oyming [OYM- see above] people every which way.

One of the funniest moments I had was we rode through the Gilbert High parking lot. There was a big football game going on so there were people every where. We stopped to talk to these three goons who had just lit up their cigs and they were making fun of us. And eventually prank called us later. From that we went and talked to this kid, just about the same age as them. He was standing at the crosswalk. He had a nice black umbrella, he was wearing a full on suit, top hat, and scarf-tie thing? He was so propper. When we handed him the book [a Book of Mormon I presume] he said "Oh wonderful, another addition to my library" It was unreal. Polar opposite people roughly the same age. So funny, but sooo awesome

Earlier this week we were saying one of our companion prayers and Elder P said something along the lines of "having baptisms fall out of the sky". I smirked when he said this, (only because the idea of people falling from the sky wanting to get baptized would be a funny sight".) [He IS very visual, remember?]  I asked him afterwards why he said it that way. He said his old companion uses to say it time to time and it would happened. That was that.


Hope everyone is doing well. I love you all so much! 


Elder Siebs

No comments:

Post a Comment