Elder Cooper Siebers has been called to serve a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. He will serve for 24 months in the Brazil, Rio de Janeiro mission. He enters the Provo, Utah Missionary Training Center on 10 July 2013.

Monday, September 23, 2013

11. Gilbert AZ

So for this week I'd thought Id just give some highlights from each day.

Monday- On Pday we finally did something active and headed to the stake center [local church building used for Sunday Worship and recreation] to play some "frasquetball", a  beloved game here in the Gilbert mission. Teams score by throwing the football into the hoop. The football is passed around ultimate frisbee style, which basically means it can go anywhere until it touches the ground and then the other team gets the ball. It was pretty fun!

Tuesday- Tuesday night we had dinner with the B. Family.  Early in the dinner they asked Elder P how long he'd been out and he said 6 months, and they said "6 months!? They sent you to us only after being out for six months!?"  They then asked me and I said 1 month. They all just started laughing. Good start yeah?  The night was spent by Elder P and the daughter debating over a matter. I just inserted funny comments here and there to keep the debate friendly and lively. They loved me! They told me how much they wanted to adopt me! It was a very fun dinner. I love so many of the families here, but I have a very special place in my heart for the B family.

Wednesday- On Wednesday we met with A again. He's an investigator that Elder P has been working with for a while now. He doesn't really feel like my investigator because he committed to baptism before I even got here. He is having troubles with the parental consent (he's 16). We met with him again this week as a step of faith that it will happen. The ward is having a fast for him on the upcoming Fast Sunday to help soften his mother's heart so that he can become baptized.

Thursday- We went to B's farm again and worked on repairing some fencing that had been ripped by her goats. She doesn't seem to be progressing much [in the Gospel]. We keep inviting her to church but she just wont come. :(

The mission is changing a lot. We found out we will be getting the iphones and ipads here soon. Service used to be kinda dead here, but suddenly we've been encouraged to seek out service opportunities. Finally they get it! Service in my opinion is one of the best ways to build trust. If we serve them then they at least should give us 10 minutes to help them gain eternal life.

Friday- Friday wasn't too exciting. There is going to be a huge constitution fair here soon, so the zone got together and helped members set up about a 1000 chairs. Swell

Saturday- Saturday was the most fun day of the week, We went on splits [splits: when two companionships split up and exchange companions for a day or afternoon].  I just planned to visit a bunch of names on our ward lists that didn't have any information about them. We visited about 14 houses that day and about 6 of them we made contact with. He found a guy who claims he "self-excommunicated" himself and has been a pastor for 6 years. We found a bitter lady who claims that she is a "christian" now....ok. A young couple who is now non denominational. A less active who is CRAZY and has some serious issues with the Book of Mormon, and an old man who hissed at us. Twas great. That night was J's baptism, it went flawlessly. The ward is doing an amazing job with fellowshipping him. He's a great guy and he's going to make for an awesome member of the church.

J's baptism, actually sent to me (Paula) by his family.


And on Sunday, I spoke [in Sacrament Meeting] again, luckily I got to give the same talk, and I did a way better job than last time. It went really well..

I got the package this week and it was awesome. I waited every single day until it came on Saturday. Thank you sooo much! We have a DVD player that miraculously converts CD music files to files on a flashdrive. I'm gonna get some songs converted today and then ask Sis. G to help me out. Thanks for setting that up mom!

Dad I enjoyed the words which you sent me this week. The Doctrine and Covenants commentary is really cool. I'll jump on that after I finish the Book of Mormon and before starting on Jesus the Christ.

I love you all so much! You'ee taking care of me!

Elder Siebers

P.S I forgot one more highlight for Sunday. We met with a family for dinner. The Sister knew I was a Brazil bound missionary and invited a nonmemeber Brasileira ( woman from brazil ) and we got to chat a bit. It would be crazy if I ended up teaching her. She's awesome and already recognizes the Spirit in her life!


Elder Siebers- sent to me by a woman in his ward.


No comments:

Post a Comment