Elder Cooper Siebers has been called to serve a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. He will serve for 24 months in the Brazil, Rio de Janeiro mission. He enters the Provo, Utah Missionary Training Center on 10 July 2013.

Monday, October 27, 2014

68. Alcantara, Rio de Janeiro

27 October 2014


Well another solid week has flown by and I just continue to be blown away at how fast the time passes! We had a great week here! Some of the highlights included going on division in Itaboraí, showing the new elders how to get around,  and I also got to visit some old investigators including X! Photo attached! That was awesome!!!!!!! X2 was also baptized that day, I barely missed it but I got to congratulate her and unite with the Rio Bonito clan one last time!





We are also working with an investigator here whose name is Y.   Hes been progressing rapidly, but we also run into problems even with the greatest people. He doesn't want to come to church because his other church meets at the same hour. He's been going there for 20 years calling them out on what he says are "their false doctrines and ordinances", yet doesn't want to leave for that purpose! Kinda funny, but we're having a hard time bringing him to the Church of Christ. He says that he will, but Sunday comes around and he decides not to. This  Sunday we went early to talk to him, showed up while he was taking a shower and answered the door in his towel. We had an intense conversation with him that morning. He was planning on going to his other church and we urged him to say a prayer and ask God what he should do. He resisted but did... and then went to the other church.... but it won't get our faith nor our hope down. We're gonna keep working with him because it will all work out in the end!

Also we had interviews with President Cabral. I expressed my concern to him about how I don't want to finish my mission without learning the most fundamental thing there is to learn during these two years. I know what things I need to learn, but I was just worried that maybe I was missing something. He closed his eyes for a moment and told me that the answer was rather vague, but that it would be up to me to interpret the answer.
"Andar com Deus"
"Walk with God"
I have been reflecting on this phrase all week, and I still haven't fully interpreted it. My understanding is following though.
This past General Conferance, a lightbulb went off in my head about the companionship of the Holy Ghost and the Priesthood. I think it was during President Eyring's Priesthood session talk... It's something we say, but its another things to comprehend and live accordingly. In all places where I go, I am accompanied by the presence of the Holy Ghost and the Holy Priesthood which I bear.;. I need to have a constant remembrance that they are in REALITY on my side. Walking ever step with me. If I enter a place where they would not enter, neither shall I enter in such a place. If I begin to do something that they would not approve of, I as well shall not do such. I guess what I mean to say is that sometimes we forget that these blessings are promised to be CONSTANT companions. I easily forget this and feel sometimes that it's just me and no one else. In the same sense walking with God can be interpreted very literally. We need to see our selves walking along his side. Doing the things he does. Tracing his footsteps. Obeying his words at all times and in all places.
I love you guys so much, and hope you have a fantastic weeeek!!


Elder Siebers


No comments:

Post a Comment