Elder Cooper Siebers has been called to serve a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. He will serve for 24 months in the Brazil, Rio de Janeiro mission. He enters the Provo, Utah Missionary Training Center on 10 July 2013.

Monday, June 16, 2014

49. Itaborai, Rio de Janeiro

16 June 2014

Hey everyone, 

I hope you all had a good week! I know I sure did. To clarify the odd timing [of his email, usually comes in the morning, didn't come in til late afternoon EST] today, we found out yesterday that our prep day got switched to Tuesday, because that day will be a Brazil game. [The missionaries in the Rio mission do not teach on days Brazil is playing, or days where there is a game in the city of Rio... which is a lot of days.]  On Sunday. with this information in mind we made an appointment early this morning to teach a woman who was a church this week. We later found out that we were to still email today, so sorry about that! 

This morning was quite the experience. I'm currently studying the New Testament and enjoying the stories of the apostle and missionary Paul. I really felt like I had my own mini Paul experience today. This woman lives in a place in Cabuçu, and we had no idea where it is. We knew what bus we had to take and so we went. We left Itaboraí and took off down some winding roads through the rolling Brazilian fields and hills. It felt so nice to be away from the world once again! 

Another photo not from Cooper, but we imagine it may looked like this.  [Google earth]


We got off in Cabuçu about 40 minutes later, called M and she picked us up and took us to her house. We were there for half the day. We didn't have a lunch scheduled with a member because of the pday switch and so she offered to make us lunch. She has almost nothing but offered us her best. She has been investigating the church for most of her life, almost got baptized twice but she wasn't married to her husband then and never overcame her smoking addiction to do so. It was the first time in three years the missionaries stopped by to see her and we had a really good time. We also shared some messages with her neighbors, blessed the sick, and prayed for the families. I got a small Paul like experience which was really impactful. 

We had a good week here in Itaboraí 2. We found a bunch of new people to teach and increased our teaching pool from 4 to 15 in just two weeks. We know some great things are going to happen here shortly! We have some great investigators, we just have to help them come to church, which always seems to be the hardest part. 

In regards to pictures, I know I need to send them.  This place doesn't have wifi and the last time I plugged my camera into a computer it gave it a virus (sorry J and T!)... (I'm pretty sure it picked it up at a LAN house in Madureira).  Anyway, this Saturday during our English classes at the chapel I'll try to send them off!  [Missionaries commonly offer free English classes at the LDS Chapels.]

Thanks for all the birthday wishes! Its going to be a calm and hardworking day for me! I love you all so much!


Elder Siebers

No comments:

Post a Comment