Elder Cooper Siebers has been called to serve a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. He will serve for 24 months in the Brazil, Rio de Janeiro mission. He enters the Provo, Utah Missionary Training Center on 10 July 2013.

Monday, March 10, 2014

35. Madureira, Rio de Janeiro

10 March 2014

So this week ending up being pretty uneventful. Carnaval "ended" on Tuesday, and I was hoping things would return to normal...yeah that's not how it works. People didn't even begin to start working again until Thursday. The aftermath was unreal. We had two heavy days of rain here and the streets were flooded with puddles, small rivers, and bits of pieces of costumes, beer cans, and tons of random items. It looked like a circus train flew through Madureira leavin' behind all of its contents. 

Not the happiest camper about Carnaval Aftermath


We had a Zone Training on Tuesday, we preparing for GeneralConference coming up (which I cant believe is happening again already). 

I spent a day with a bed ridden Elder and just slept all day. P.S they too have a nice house, so the only things I'm looking forward to when I'm transferred is a better home. 

We went to confirm the day and time for a meal at a member's home, but instead we found some less active members. She is the mother of the members we were looking to confirm with and she misses church so much. Shes been taking care of her mother since 2009 and has almost no time for herself. Her mother is the most dead looking person I have ever seen in my life so I really felt for this woman. We gave her a blessing and well keep her on our radar to help out when we can. 

Sunday was pretty low key, we didn't have any investigators at church, which was sad, but not surprising... But of note, T recieved the Priesthood so that was pretty neat. Sunday night was another crazy night. There was a HUGE party on our street and it was just ridiculous. A woman flashed our Zone Leaderss while they were coming home (they live on the same road as us).

Sorry about the uneventful week, but its a dark time for us here in Madureira. We have some serious iniquitous people, which only makes our calling that more important! 

Love 
Elder Siebs

[The following are excerpts used with Cooper's permission from an email he wrote to Mike and Tyla Permenter.  Mike was Cooper's Young Men's President for two years and their family has often taken good care of Coops.]

As for my favorite section of the Book of Mormon, I think it has to be the story of Nephi, son of Helaman. (Helaman 3-11, with chapter 5 being the highlight) I love chapter 5, Nephi gives up the judgement seat and decides to preach the gospel with his brother Lehi for the REST of his days. As a missionary his story is inspiring to me and he has become my favorite Book of Mormon character. Helaman 5: 4-7,11.

As for me, the mission is not easy. in my letters, I try to keep it a positive experience for the readers, and don't get me wrong, my mission is a positive experience, but there are countless day to day trials and burdens that make the mission very difficult. But every time I feel like I'm being overburdened I remember the Savior, and his sacrifice for us. There is no earthly trial that can even compare to the Atonement. There are some great scriptures as well that talk about the value of sacrifice and trials. I especially love Romans 5:3-5.



No comments:

Post a Comment