Elder Cooper Siebers has been called to serve a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. He will serve for 24 months in the Brazil, Rio de Janeiro mission. He enters the Provo, Utah Missionary Training Center on 10 July 2013.

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

28. Madureira, Rio de Janeiro

20 January 2014

Well everyone I don't have much to tell about this week, but it was just as swell as any week could be.

We had an awesome district meeting this week. Our little district of two companionships met in the Bishop's small office and actually TALKED about the difficulties and how we can improve, and it really helped motivate us all to do better. We had a great week!

Update on our progressing investigators

J and T- finally returned from their two week vacation.

G- He's only available early in the week and we missed our window. No updates

J- We had an awesome lesson with her. We brought two youth from the ward with us and we all sat in a circle on the sidewalk in from of her house and read 3 Nephi 11

V- An update about the word of wisdom story.  Right about the time she clicked on the link to read about the word of wisdom, a friend of hers called and said she was sick in the hospital because of some coffee she drank... I didn't even know that was possible or common, but the Lord works in mysterious ways! We brought her to the church during the week and talked with her about baptisms for the dead and family history with an awesome member of the ward.

M- Our appointment fell through with her, she's hard to get in contact with. 

And add E and to the list. I don't think I've ever mentioned them. We've been teaching them ever since I got here but I didn't seem interested. However we went over this week because she just had a baby and he was all fired up and asked us a ton of questions. Then on Sunday we went to church with them. They have a car which is a great blessing and makes it easier to come to church! 

It was Stake Conference this week, which was really too bad. They didn't get to see a "normal" Sunday, so no Primary for the kids, no Sacrament, and they didn't get to meet the members... I really hope they come back next week! 



Other than that some other smaller, personal highlights from this week:

Made the taco meat, they don't have shells or cheese that is suited well for tacos so I've just been eating the meat over doritos and it's SOOO GOOD!

I  talked with a man for a good half hour and he told us he shot his wife... she lived. But yeah we run into crazy people.

[Scott  had asked him about the water situation there and how the missionaries are instructed to ensure they have good water.]

The first few weeks I carried my water bottle with me all day. But as time went on, my back can't take much, so I stopped. We buy 10L of mineral water that are approx 4 dollars and we get reimbursed. I drink a lot before we head out for the day and we tend just to knock on a random door ask for water. The people are really hospitable. Today I bought a bunch of powerades which was a bit pricey. (about 9 bucks for 7 normal sized). We get a lot of water that I don't know where it comes from or if it was filtered or not. I think most if filtered but certainly not all.  I've been super blessed health wise, almost all my peers from my MTC district have already made one or several trips to the hospital. So I'll just keep taking my vitamins and staying optimistic, which I think is the best natural remedy there is.

The language is soo good right now. Still not understanding everything, but I'm picking up on slang which is really helping in this wild city.

Love you all!

Elder Siebers

No comments:

Post a Comment