Elder Cooper Siebers has been called to serve a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. He will serve for 24 months in the Brazil, Rio de Janeiro mission. He enters the Provo, Utah Missionary Training Center on 10 July 2013.

Sunday, December 29, 2013

22. Madureira, Rio de Janeiro

9 December 2013

[While attempting to edit, I accidently deleted this post.  So I am re-creating it from his letter that day, but I don't know how to get it back in order.]

Well week 22 will go down in history as one of much trials and much success.

Monday was swell. After internet and grocery time we went to the ward building and played some basketball with some young men. Also we started shopping at a place called "Assai" which I'm pretty sure is the equivalent of Costco. It's got everything I could need and its super cheap and bulky!

Tuesday was the the best day of the week. We ended up working really hard and taught 9 lessons! Holy cow! I've got the first lesson down pretty well at this point. The Plan of Salvation on the other hand is still pretty difficult but were working on it.

Wednesday I sent some pictures, we had zone conference which took up most of the day.




I thought Id share one story from Wednesday night that Id thought you all would enjoy. It was 8:45 and we were on our way home for the night. As far as i knew, the day was over. While walking down our street, the song "Awwwwww... FREAK OUT" starting blasting and I couldn't help but put some jive in my step as we walked home for the night. A lady stopped us and said something along the lines of "How old are you?, you cant be old enough to know that song" That's where she was wrong. We ended up teaching her about missionaries and the Priesthood Authority which we hold, to teach and baptize. Dancing isn't a finding technique in Preach my Gospel, but maybe it should be!

Thursday everything took a turn for the worst! Elder C. ended up getting really sick and with the same symptoms that Jake said he was having. Headache, nausea, exhaustion and yes, he threw up blood, I saw it and even sent a picture! 

He tried to work, but after a few hours in the blazing sun he was done. I gave my first sealing of an Anointing in Portuguese which went all right as well. Got that under my belt now...

Then to top it off that night we had an incredible rain storm, while during our  nightly prayer the power flickered, and yup you guessed it, just a few short moments later we lost power... If this would have all happened in my first week I don't know what i would have done. BUT, I'm comfortable enough now where it was rather exciting. I love when the power goes out! 



Hows THAT for a day!

The power wasn't out long enough if you ask me, it was restored at 1:30 and everything turned on all at once while we were sleeping.

Friday, Elder C was still sick we worked a bit more but continued to return to the house so he could rest. 

The devastation from the storm was impressive. There was one street we were on that I wish you could have all seen. This huge tree had been blown over, garbage of all kinds tangled in the branches, covering half the road. Then there was a random fire on the sidewalk puffing tons of black smoke into the air. If you would have seen the two of us walking down that road we would have looked like super heroes. Blazing sun, dust and wind, and black smoke, fire and a destroyed tree. ...yeah

Saturday Elder C was STILL sick. The Zone Leaders came by. Elder S talked to Elder C privately for a good hour and a half, and I talked to elder St. about all the questions I had regarding the mission and stuff

Sunday, Elder C was finally feeling good enough to work. He's still a bit ill but hes working through it. Church was pleasant as always. Our newly called Elders Quorum President, I don't think understands the significance of his calling. We've had one of the Stake Counselors with us every Sunday trying to teach him what he should be doing with this tiny Quorum. On Sunday he didn't prepare a lesson again and he didn't seem to want to teach, so again the Stake Counselor had to take charge and teach. Its bad news because our investigators notice.

Anyway we ended Sunday teaching J and T. We taught repentance and it was really emotional. I ended up speaking a few minutes about repentance and in my broken Portuguese.

Last week of the Transfer, wish me luck. 

(Mom, its a 5 week transfer to that transfer day doesn't fall on Christmas)

No comments:

Post a Comment