Elder Cooper Siebers has been called to serve a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. He will serve for 24 months in the Brazil, Rio de Janeiro mission. He enters the Provo, Utah Missionary Training Center on 10 July 2013.

Monday, November 4, 2013

17. Gilbert AZ

4 November 2013

Hellow Everyone, I don't have a lot of time to write a lot of things are going on! And forgive me for any bad grammar and incorrect spellings, my fingers are flying.





Monday
On Monday we got some other missionaries to go to the park with us and spent the day outside playing soccer, volleyball and frisbee. It was really nice.  That night we taught J once again. We went over all the questions she had about her temple visit. We talked about Joseph Smith and the life of the early saints.



Tuesday
Tuesday night we taught B once again and read 3rd Nephi 12. We only got half way through the chapter before we had to go give blood in the blood drive. He's coming along nicely though.

Wednesday
That night we had our usual correlation meetings. The Mesquite ward was having all of their mutual nights and we were flying around talking to everyone and I just really felt like part of the ward! It was really fun!

Thursday
On Halloween we had a huge mission conference. I got to see Elders from my MTC district and my trainer.  We were trained for 5 hours on a temple presentation to give to nonmembers who are planning to attend the temple open house which was announced to be mid Jan- mid Feb. That night we got permission to watch "17 Miracles". Good movie. Pretty depressing



Friday
On Friday we spent much of the day helping the wards set up for a huge stake family history event called the "Ellis Island Project". They really went all out with it and had tons of cool decorations. Very Disney World like. They had the youth dress up as newsies and such. Pretty Impressive.

That night a member family invited over a Portuguese speaking lady over for dinner. It was pretty rough, especially because shes from Portugal and all of her pronunciations were much different than from what we have learned.

Saturday
Was the big day for the Ellis Island Project. We had a ton of non members come through which was really nice to see. Some nice work will come out of it. They had a total of about 650 people come through which is pretty impressive!

Gilbert Stake's Ellis Island Project



Sunday
Sunday was absolutely awesome.

-G Sang "As I have Loved You" at the pulpit for her testimony
-One of our investigators bore his Testimony at the end of one of the ward's meetings and everyone gave him hugs and patted him on the back. A lot of people were impressed!
-J received the Aaronic Priesthood. YES!
- A woman invited a group of 100 people from her work to come to the temple open house.
Yeah.

Then we capped of the day with an investigator we taught at the very beginning of the transfer. W, if you remember is a 17 year old kid who is very intelligent. He may be a famous philosopher one day... Anywho he called us Sat night (we hadn't heard from him in 5 weeks!) saying he really needed to talk to someone. We met Sunday night and he told us that he had two gun shots fired at him that night and was reconsidering life after death and the purpose of life. We sat down with him and the first thing he said to us was, "Is there anyone beyond redemption?"

Good Question W.

We discussed with him the Plan of Salvation and the Atonement for a good hour or so. The whole time his head was down with his long locks covering his face, tears dripping down to the floor. Yeah. It got pretty emotional. It was truly an incredible experience. He's already read the entire Book of Mormon, but he hasn't prayed. He expressed that he is afraid to in fear that he wont get the answer that he is seeking. He wants it all to be true, but won't know where to turn if it isn't. He said he would come with us to Church this Sunday.  I hope he does!

For today we are spending the day with the P's. They are the family I am close to.   I got a good feeling that I'm outta here in a few days....I received a letter from President Lima [his Mission President in Rio de Janeiro] saying Welcome to the Rio Mission.  I'm excited, also really depressed, not to mention scared for whats to come. I have too much stuff on me.  I'm going to try and send as much of it home as possible.  [When I first read this I thought he meant stress, burden.  Then I see that he means quite literally- "too much stuff".]

I love you all. Great stories are to come once I hit the foreign city :)

Elder Siebs


Tonight I rec'd a text from Sister P- she had Elder Siebers and Elder H over to her house for their Pday evening for "craft night".  Is this woman my soul sister or what?  Then she sent me photos of her with the Elders working on their projects.  Such a great memento of his time in Gilbert.  Thank you Sister P!



Sister P had them choose quotes and scriptures to put on the back of their ties!  Such a clever idea.  I love it!

Elder Siebers, Elder H and Sister P (their second mom)
























No comments:

Post a Comment